Care UK Shop / Sorting Centre – Now Open
Saturday 2nd September 2017 marked the second anniversary of the death of 3 year old Aylun Kurdi whose body was washed up on a Turkish beach. The pictures shocked the world and opened our eyes to the Syrian refugee crisis. In response a group was setup on Facebook offering to collect clothes in South Warrington to send to the refugees.
The response was amazing, what was expected was a few bin bags of clothes, within a couple of days we had secured premises and was collecting car and van loads of aid. The British public stepped up on an amazing scale to help others and continue to do so. We now attract aid from all over the country, have hundreds of volunteers and have formed a collaboration working with several other groups and charities from the North West and North Wales to send aid.
Two years on we are now a registered charity, CARE UK (Charity Aid Recycling Enterprise UK), still collecting useful items and fundraising to ‘help those in need, wherever they are’.
To date, we have:
- Sent 24 x 40ft containers of sorted and packed aid to Syria and Greece
- Sent several van loads of aid to other groups and charities
- Donated several thousands of pounds to related causes
- Regularly support MRANG charity in Liverpool with items for mothers and babies
- Helped with many items to support incoming refugees in Warrington and other areas
- Provided household and personal items to clients of the YMCA and other families in need in Warrington
- Sent over 100 packs of reusable nappies to Zambia via the Roll out the Barrel project
- Have 2 premises, one in Lostock Gralam and the one in the Cockhedge Centre
- Work closely with Syria Relief and One Nation Charities and several NGO’s in Greece.
To mark the occasion and our second anniversary we formally opened our shop/sorting centre in the Cockhedge Centre on Saturday 2nd September 2017.